Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year!!!

2014!!!!! Crazy!!!!

I just realized a few days ago that it really is 2014, and that just blows my mind.  Has it been that long?  Am I really that old? :P

It was kind of a slower week as far as missionary work goes, but rich in spiritual growth and learning.  I am excited to be working on some great goals for this year to help myself improve!  I love times like this where you can re-evaluate and recommit to what you are working towards.
The first amazing experience for the week was going on exchanges with Elder Nelson, my former trainer and now AP.  That man is a rock star for sure!  Such a diligent missionary and I was blown away again by his example of talking to everyone, teaching, finding, planning, etc.  He is such a hard worker.  We had a great time New Year's Eve together - we had to be in an hour early, so that gave us some more time to do a few more things and just talk and catch up.  Then the next day we went out to their area around BSU and downtown and talked to a bunch of people.  Super fun!

Then, I had another exchange later on in the week with Elder Williams, another great missionary from Mississippi.  He is such a happy person, and it really lifted my spirits so much!  I was impressed with how positive and loving he was towards everyone.  Just a blast. 

The next day I was reading Pres. Uchtdorf's conference talk from Priesthood session.  He talks about a time skiing when he fell down and couldn't get up by himself.  His grandson came over, took his hand, and said "Opa, you can do it now!" upon which, all of a sudden, he stood.  He then says:

"Brethren, there may be times in our lives when rising up and continuing on may seem beyond our own ability. That day on a snow-covered slope, I learned something. Even when we think we cannot rise up, there is still hope. And sometimes we just need someone to look us in the eyes, take our hand, and say, “You can do it now!”

All I can say is that I can testify of that principle.  I got my own taste of a "You can do it now!" this week!  I am so grateful for good examples and friends around me who can lift me when I am down and help me continue on my way.

What an opportunity this is to be able to serve a mission for the Lord!  I am so grateful for this experience, and I am trying to remember what a blessing it is more and more every day.  I love being able to teach others about the gospel of Jesus Christ!  I love being able to see them make changes in their lives!  I love seeing the joy that it gives them.  I know that this is Christ's church, and that He is at its head!  I know that we have prophets and apostles on the earth today, and I am so grateful for their guidance and leadership!  I know of the power of the Atonement in helping us change and become better.  It's a long process, a hard process, but so worth it.  I know that my Heavenly Father loves me, and more than that, I know He loves each and every one of you.  What an empowering thing to feel!  He knows us, cares about us, and loves us every minute of every day of our lives.  It's a blessing to be able to be conveying that message to the world.

Have a FANTASTIC week!

--Elder Usevitch

PS.  The picture depicts a "Day in the life of an Idaho Boise Missionary."  We go into this discount bread shop to get some stuff.  First off, it's cheaper than normal, second, we find out that if we spend $10, we get a free item.  So we get a bunch of bread, go to the checkout, and an employee hands us two more loaves of gingerbread bread, no charge.  Then we find out that the lady in front of us paid $10 for our purchase.  And we get a free item for having a purchase over $10.  All in all, all that bread cost us .... $2.43.  Tender mercies. :)


1 comment:

  1. Hey. All y'all don't know me. I'm from Boise, and I've had the chance to meet Usevitch. So I guess he's the only one who would. I'm hoping that when he gets home he can see this message and realize how much he has changed my life. He wasn't my missionary. But his current companion elder Mckenzie used to go to my sisters house, and I would make them leave. But when I came to investigate the church elder Mckenzie came on a transfer with one of my elders. So I invited him to my baptism. And of course his companion Elder Usevitch came with him. There was more elders at my baptism than anyone. There were my missionaries, some sisters I met and Usevitch and Mckenzie. When they walked in all I could think was dang he's tall. And several times after that I've seen him. And although he isn't the one giving me my lessons. He has changed me more than those who are. He is such a strong missionary, I can feel the hg when he comes around. And at state conference afterwards I was looking for them. An elder Usevitch was litterally surrounded by girls. It made me laugh. Everyone knows who he is. And no I am not one of his groupies (: I just wanted to let him know how he has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete