Monday, November 25, 2013

To BAPTIZE!!!

Dearest friends and family,

My heart is full, and this week was fantastic.  Fantastic.  Sooooo many miracles, in soooo many areas!  I shall proceed, but in honor of Thanksgiving this week, let's do it in the form of thanks:

I am thankful for the chance I had to receive some training this week about finding.  This helped to strengthen my faith that there still are people out there, even in my area, who need to hear the message of the gospel!  This really helped me to have renewed vigor and desire to go out and find and teach.

I am thankful for the opportunity I had to go on exchanges this week.  Three of them!  With three different Elders.  The first was with an Elder Smith, who I actually was with for 3 days at the beginning of last transfer.  I was so excited when I learned that I was going to do a leadership exchange with him, and we had a great time finding some new people for him to teach in his area.  The last one I went on was with Elder Nieto, a missionary from Colombia, and his Spanish accent reminded me SO MUCH of El Paso and home.  I got to practice my broken Spanish with him, and we were just happy and laughing the whole day as we taught, served, and contacted.  One of my favorite quotes of the day was when he told me "It's so funny - you're tall, white, and Polish, but you speak like a Mexican!"  Haha, that's my 17 years in El Paso for SURE!  

I am thankful for my companion, Elder Taylor.  We were able to do some major work this week in finding and teaching, and it is so great to see this area the busiest it has ever been since I came at the beginning of August!  He has really been a great support in everything.

I am thankful for the great gift of the Book of Mormon for teaching me, inspiring me, and helping me feel the Spirit more every day.  What a great resource for me, and what a great tool for others.  As I have applied my mission president's words to use the Book of Mormon more, I have definitely seen and felt great miracles.  Such as one where we went to see Dan: he was a little tired and irritated at first, but as we read from the Book of Mormon he changed so much.  He learned more about the Bible as we discussed what we read, and he was much calmer and happier at the end.  I asked him if he noticed how different he felt at the end compared to the beginning, but of course he declined to respond.  I know he notices it though!

I am grateful for gloves.  They do such a great job at keeping my hands warm. :)

I am grateful to be able to drive a car.  I am so spoiled.  So spoiled.  But that heater is pretty darn hot, let me tell ya! :P

I am grateful for our good bishop, who has inspired the ward council to praying for our investigators by name, and for us as missionaries of their ward by name.  I can testify that specific prayers like that really does make a huge difference!  They are currently applying the idea of asking the missionaries serving from their ward for investigators' names to pray for and then praying for them.  I think that is a fantastic idea.  So if you feel so inclined, would you say a prayer for Jim, Robert, William, Marc, or Tania?  I would really appreciate it.  As would they.

I am grateful for the gift of music.  So grateful.  I would be dead without it.  Life would be bland and terrible.  Music fills me up and drives me forward and gives me such incredible joy!

I am grateful for my family: Mom, Dad, Ryan Jen Ellie and Charlie, James, David, Mark, Robert, Katy, Kimberly, and all the rest of my extended family and extended extended family.  That should include all of you. :)  You all are the best.

Last of all, I am grateful for Jim.  And the Spirit.  And the gospel.  And what happens when you combine those together.  We had a baptismal date set for the 30th with him, but all of last week he wasn't really sure if he wanted to go through with it.  In fact, with one lesson my companion had with him when we were on exchanges, he said he wanted to wait it out.  BUT, on Saturday, we had a great time reading the Book of Mormon with him, and he told us of how the Lord might have been answering his prayers about the church.  We testified to him that the experiences he shared were truly the Lord telling him through the Holy Ghost that this gospel is true.  We then challenged him to make a decision about baptism, pray about it, and then come to church the next morning.

Sunday dawned bright and beautiful.  During Sacrament meeting, Jim leaned over to Elder Taylor and said he wanted to go through with being baptized on the 30th.  And then the talks seemed like they were specifically geared towards his concerns.  Wow.  When Elder Taylor shared the good news to me, MAN I was filled with so much joy!  I am so grateful for the work that the Lord has done on him to help him to change and accept this covenant!

So now we have a baptism to plan for Saturday.  Me in my lack of faith wasn't planning on it happening, so the Lord taught me a great lesson.  Wahoo!!  On goes the work!  Hoorah for Israel!
Love,

--Elder Usevitch

1. The first snow of the year!  Yay!
2. The first fellow Ham that I've found in Idaho!
3. Sweetest pic EVER of the Boise temple.

Inline image 3
Inline image 2
Inline image 4

No comments:

Post a Comment